Monday, March 27, 2006

Count me out

I’m not a joiner. Clubs, teams, sororities, whatever group you can think of that requires face time. None of them have been appealing to me. Believe me, I appreciate what they’re about, and I would encourage anyone to join. I just don’t like feeling roped in, to have my time and/or actions dictated for me. Not that I have all that much else going on – it’s not like I lead this free-wheeling, devil-may-care life chock full of spontaneity where you never know what’s going to happen next. Quite the opposite, actually. And maybe that’s why I don’t like joining – when I do have something pop up unexpectedly, I don’t handle it as well as someone else might. It doesn’t help that I put my club/team/insert-group-here duties at the very bottom of my priority list. I feel I should be able to blow them off without any guilt. Groups don’t like that. They get disappointed, they count on you, they love to tell you all about what you missed and how you should have been there, because they really could have used you. Shove it. I don’t want to hear it. The rhetoric you sold me on to join your damn group included disclaimers like: casual, when you can, if you can, that’d be great, no big deal. That’s a crock. I obviously (very, very obviously) don’t eat/sleep/breath this activity like you do, so don’t expect me to change overnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home