Monday, October 23, 2006

Now that's never happened before...

My move to Rochester is immanent. To prepare I’ve been looking up apartments and townhouses online that I would like to visit over Thanksgiving. The cool thing about these online organizations is that they make it really easy to get in contact with the property owners, so yesterday I emailed a few to ask if they’d have anyone around the weekend after Thanksgiving to show me around the units I’m interested in.

Not 10 minutes later a woman called from the place I was *especially* excited about. It had everything I wanted: a dishwasher, a garbage disposal, AC, a washer and drier, AND an attached single car garage – the most exciting part of all – I’m getting giddy just thinking about it. Anyway, she was very nice and helpful: yes, there would be folks around to give me a tour, just call her when it got to be closer and we could make an appointment. Then she asked how much money I’d be making. I figured she wanted to make sure I could afford all of this luxury for the price of $725 a month. I proudly told her what I’d be making my first year as a postdoc.

Her mood darkened. “I’m sorry,” she said, “but your income will be too high.”

“Too high?” How could this be possible? I have never been in a position where I was making *too much* money. I believe I have just stepped into the Twilight Zone.

“Yeah, I’m not exactly sure how it works. It’s some tax credit thing. We rent to people who make [approximately $6,000 less than I will me making] or less. To help them build a nest egg or something. But that’s just for the first 6 months. After that you can make as much as you want.”

As if that would make me feel better. I’d like to build a little nest egg, too, you know. I’d just be better at it with all that “excess” money coming in.

I can’t say I was caught completely off-guard. Some of the listings actually have a little blurb about this tax-credit-thing so I know not to bother.

I thanked her for letting me know. She suggested another place that I might want to look into, adding that it’s closer to the Mayo Clinic than her place. Looking it up I see that I can get my “4 Musts” (DW, GD, AC, W/D) as well as the sweet attached garage with the added bonus of a fireplace (I’d totally be making s’mores in the living room) for the low low price of $1020-1050 a month. Quite a bit more expensive than my first love, but not completely out of the question.

Since then I’ve found about 8 other places that are less expensive – but now I need to call them all to find out if they participate in this tax-credit-thing. Wish me luck.

4 Comments:

Blogger craig said...

You need to find someone who already owns a sweet house and move in. That way you get all the perks but don't have to pay rent. It totally worked for me!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Lil Kate said...

So you're saying I should be perusing something like Match.com vs. Rent.com?

10:24 AM  
Blogger Chris B. said...

Is this maximum figure tied only to your gross income? What if you made a fat 401k contribution for the first six months?

Job the system. It totally worked for me!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Lil Kate said...

Good question. I haven't received my "package" materials yet, so I don't know what my options are. I'll have to look into that.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home