Sunday, October 01, 2006

Inn Love

Yesterday I went out to breakfast with Labmate and her hubby. Now, not having a good track record of recommending things to Labmate, I was really nervous that something would go wrong at breakfast. Even though I always take out-of-town guests to The Inn, and I would eat breakfast there every day if I could afford the time and money, I was still a little apprehensive. Especially since we’d been planning this for about a week and the expectations had been growing.

The Inn is like a cross between The Log Cabin (the old one, not the new one) and The Mint in The ‘Sau (for those in the know). Think Waffle House, but homey-er. It’s relatively small and diner-ish. The coffee mugs weigh a pound. The food is hot and greasy. The waitresses call you Honey and are always right on top of those refills. They write out your order by hand and you pay at the till.

At the same time, they don’t play it safe with stereotypical breakfast dishes consisting of some sort of egg/meat/potato medley. They serve 4 different kinds of Eggs Benedict (my addiction of choice), quiches, Blues and Chews (blueberry and cashew pancakes), Mango Sour Cream pancakes (sounds gross, but isn’t), and a dozen different kinds of omelets along with the stereotypical fried steak and eggs dishes. I guarantee you won’t be hungry for the rest of the day.

Labmate ordered her very first Eggs Benedict and I graciously welcomed her into the fold. Hubby had Blues and Chews. I’m pleased to announce that the both of them loved their breakfasts and my track record is on the mend! Afterwards we waddled out to our cars and made a promise to ourselves that this wouldn’t be our last breakfast. There’s just too much on the menu they haven’t tried yet, and I’m more than happy to walk them through it.

Going to breakfast at the Inn is a great way to end a hectic work week, and a wonderful way to start the weekend.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris B. said...

Salmon Benny at The Coffee Pot is pretty much the reason I wake up in the morning.

I love you, breakfast.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Lil Kate said...

I've never tried Salmon Benny... but I have had Crab Benny - also to die for. As if Hollandaise isn't rich enough as it is.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home