Saturday, March 24, 2007

Feelin' all responsible, like a real grown up

Not only has my car assimilated to living within the confines of MN with her snazzy new plates, but now I have, too. Yes, it’s true, the state of MN has seen fit to allow me to continue to drive my car. I got an 86% on my “knowledge” test. Gimme a break, 32 out of 37 questions isn’t bad – especially considering I didn’t bother to memorize the penalties for drunk driving or driving without a legal permit. Why? Because I plan to never have to know, that’s why. So now I drive around with my WI license clipped until my new MN license arrives by mail. I don’t quite know why they need to mail it to me. I can’t imagine there’s only the one laminator to go around. Maybe it’s to “ensure” that I live where I say I live. They seemed pretty paranoid about making sure I was me, and in fact a legal citizen. Damn Canadians.

I have also opened an IRA. My job withholds some money for me in a 403(b), but you know me – ever the planner. So I sat through an hour and a half spiel by my credit union guy on my options, and now I have “more control” and can “live comfortably” with “increased spending power” when I eventually retire. He had a dry erase board and everything – very cute.

In other news: I will be entertaining my first guests next weekend when my stepmom and grandma come to visit (with or without various aunts in tow). They should be pretty easy to entertain. The only requests they’ve made are for a work tour, and to have Diet Coke on hand. I think I can handle that. My next visitor will be a high school friend currently living in WI. I’m hoping the weather will be nice and that something interesting will be happening around town. A college roommate should be the next visitor after that. We’ll see if she gets her shit together. Her job keeps her very busy so planning a trip isn’t easy for her, but it’ll be awesome when she gets here.

I’ll also be heading back to the Land of Cleves to attend the thesis defense of the last of “our” lab that remains in Cleveland. It’s the end of an era. Good thing, too. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to see some of you. In the meantime, happy spring!

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris B. said...

Wow.

You've got 'em lined up like incoming airliners, don'tcha?

7:26 AM  
Blogger Lil Kate said...

I blame spring. Nobody wants to visit in winter.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Texas does the same thing with the driver's license, only they actually take your old one and give you a lousy sheet of paper (as proof that you have applied for a Texas license) until your new one comes in the mail. Good thing I wasn't carded in that time! Stupid Texans.

8:12 AM  
Blogger squareaj said...

when are you coming to cleveland? you have got to check out the new babe. i guess sheri or meghan should have a party for you and invite me so i don't have to have the party. call me when you are in town.

andyout

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home