Monday, February 12, 2007

Down right balmy

Before moving to Minnesota, I had pretty much thought that all temperatures below freezing felt the same – cold. I couldn’t tell the difference between 32 degrees and 20 degrees or 10 degrees. They all felt the same.

The past couple of weeks, as you’re all aware, it’s been wicked cold.

And then, this morning, as I walked to the bus, I noticed that my face wasn’t stinging, and my nose and lungs didn’t hurt when I took a breath.

It was about 20 degrees and I felt…. warm. Subzero windchills really make one appreciate double digits. I’m sure eventually I would have felt cold, but it would have taken whole *minutes* instead of mere seconds.

This is why you see “crazy” people from the Midwest walking around in shorts when it’s 40 degrees out – because to them it’s a freakin’ scorcher. I get that now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris B. said...

You are one tough broad, LK.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Lil Kate said...

I wish! I still bundle up a lot more than my fellow bus riders. Call me crazy, but I really don't like it when my ears go numb.

6:14 PM  
Blogger craig said...

Driving home from work yesterday I saw a woman jogging in short-shorts and a tank top. She was unfazed by having to climb over the 4' ice drifts on the sidewalk. I guess an extra 10 degrees makes all the difference.

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home