Sunday, January 14, 2007

Thanks for your patience

It’s been a very busy last few weeks, my friends, and I appreciate your patience (all 7 of you).

The move from Cleveland went well. Weather and traffic were good. I avoided any unpleasant or uncomfortable conversations with my mother by intently listening to “A Walk in the Woods” by Bill Bryson on CD. HOURS of entertainment right there. I’ll have to write him a fan letter and thank him.

Christmas was full of the usual hectic and drama-filled family events. I even had a little time to squeeze in some friends. I learned a new dice game called Farkle. Kinda reminded me of cribbage with all the different combinations adding up to different point values. I don’t think I could explain it.

The move to Rochester also went well. We unloaded the truck in record time while the furniture guys delivered and set up my new bedroom set and sleeper sofa. As we started to unpack and organize, the cable guy set up my TV. I was set. Exhausted, and not wanting to go shopping or out to dinner, but set.

My parents alternated between complaining that I had too much shit, and trying to make me buy more. I snapped at the Wal-Mart checkout, asking them to make up their fucking minds already. (That’s how tired I was.) We all slept soundly. The next day the parents took me shopping one last time (without incident), hung some curtain rods and shelves, and were on their way back to WI by noon. I was breathing a big sigh of relief by 12:05.

My New Year’s weekend was spent unpacking and organizing. Two of my most favorite things to do. A close second was doing my first couple loads of laundry in my very own washer and drier. It’s the little things, you know?

I also learned that there are two truths to moving:
1) You really don’t know how much shit you have until you try to box it all up.
2) Moving is an excuse for your family to foist shit they don’t want on you.
I turned down: wicker furniture, random kitchen gadgets and an artificial fichus tree. I accepted: a giant metal desk, a giant metal table, nice rolly chair with matching carpet protecting plastic thing to roll on, and a bookcase. I know how to prioritize. And I’m ready for houseguests. So, if you ever find yourself in the Rochester area, let me know.

Work as been… good. Being a new employee is never fun, per se. Lots of training, orientating, setting up, reading, and doctor’s appointments. You’ll be happy to know that I don’t have TB, and I won’t be getting tetanus, pertussis OR diphtheria any time soon. I know I’m relieved.

So far I like my new boss and my new labmates. Most of the folks I’ve met at work are married women who are either pregnant or have kids. I’m learning a lot about differing mothering styles. Most have been very nice and welcoming. Then there are some on the floor that won’t even make eye contact. I’ve been warned that there’s a bit of clique-ish-ness by lab. I am not in their lab, therefore, I am unimportant. Fine. I won’t waste my time.

My most favorite graduation gift arrived last week: my new matchbook-sized iPod Shuffle. It’s SO CUTE. I could eat it up. Helps me drown out the country music playing in the lab and gives me something to do on the bus to and from work.

One cool thing about work: I have access to “Staff Only” corridors, tunnels and elevators because now I’m actually, officially staff. A very novel concept for me. Oh, and everything is connected by underground tunnels – also novel for me. I can even get to my bank via underground tunnel here! AND they have a bunch of little shops in part of the tunnel system – gift shops, coffee shops, sandwich shops, etc. Pretty cool. My office has a huge window and being on the 13th floor affords me a pretty decent view. My office mate leaves something to be desired, but she’s tolerable. Likes to give out obvious, unsolicited advice. That rubs me the wrong way. She also likes to corner people and chew their ears off. I’m polite, but I keep things short.

That pretty much brings you up to speed.

I hope your new year is starting off on the right foot!

3 Comments:

Blogger craig said...

These tunnels that connect your lab to other parts of the world... you don't, by chance, have to access them via a bookcase that swings out when you push the correct book, revealing a secret tunnel? Because that would be super-cool.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Lil Kate said...

That would be super-cool! Unfortunately I just get to access them through plain old wooden doors BUT they have a nifty "STAFF ONLY" sign above them with red and white stripes to ward off wandering patients.

2:07 PM  
Blogger craig said...

Sigh... once again my fantasy of what "scientists" actually do takes a hit. I was devastated first time I went with Sheri to the lab and there were no bubbling beakers. I mean, come on! Next thing you're going to tell me is that there's no giant switch on the wall that opens up the ceiling so you can harness the lighting!

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home