Tuesday, October 31, 2006

My Landlords: Part I

I know I’ve mentioned them before, but not in much detail. The first time I had an extended chit-chat with them was the first time I handed in my rent check. They were sitting outside on a balmy August night, enjoying the lovely and buggy Cleveland summer. They asked me to join them and started with the usual “get to know you” questions about where I’m from, what my family is like, and what I do.

I learned that D and L each have adult children from their previous marriages, and a couple grandkids. With much work and dedication they kept things civil with their exes for the sake of their children. They definitely earned my respect on that one.

D is… into healing. She performs hypnotherapy and started a nonprofit to help bridge Eastern medicine with Western. Say you want acupuncture to compliment your medication – she can hook you up with the right people. She recommends acupuncture for menopausal symptoms, by the way. Swears by it. Just FYI.

L is… in “business?” I don’t know exactly what. When I asked, D cut him off with “He’s in business as well.” Talking a couple weeks later to a woman who may have taught one of their daughters, she thinks he may be a psychiatrist. He smokes like a chimney and reminds me of Martin Scorsese with is white hair and black eye brows.

Then the conversation took a twist I wasn’t expecting. I’d always been taught that discussing religion and politics was impolite – with friends, with strangers, fill in your favorite category. D asked me what religion I was. Not knowing them well enough to judge how open minded they are (I know, the Eastern/Western medicine bridge might have been a clue, but you can never be too sure) I chose a safe, stock answer which I will regurgitate for you here: Though I don’t subscribe to any particular religion, I do believe that its purpose is to help people live a better life.

L immediately jumped down my throat with “Isn’t the purpose of religion to reconcile man with God?” Caught off-guard I stammered that reconciling yourself with God could help you lead a better life, couldn’t it? After a beat D chimed in saying that she considers herself a cross between a Buddhist and a Metaphysical Christian.

[I had to look that up later. Turns out Metaphysical Christianity is “a belief system, founded on the teachings of Jesus, which looks at how He perceived reality. It also examines the relationship between mind and matter, which is God. A Metaphysical Christian studies not only what Jesus taught in words, but also how He taught in actions. They study the imagery and metaphor used in the Bible and strive to understand the deepest meaning.”]

L got up and left to putter around the yard. D and I continued to talk. I learned that D believes that her granddaughter is the reincarnation of someone she knew. She can’t say for certain if it’s a friend or family member, but she’s pretty convinced and had some intriguing stories to tell. She’s pining for the day that her daughter will let her perform a past life regression on the little girl, hoping that it’s someday soon as, apparently, upon reaching the age of 6 most of your past life memories are gone.

Stay tuned for Part II….

4 Comments:

Blogger MistressBioNerd said...

Wow, um, wow.

11:05 AM  
Blogger craig said...

Ugh, I smell crazy. I've never prescribed to the notion that it's "impolite" to discuss religion, but I am deeply wary of anyone who brings it up and aggressively wants to talk about it. Usually they have a conversion in mind, not a conversation.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Lil Kate said...

Yeah. I agree. I'm definitely not hot on being converted.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Chris B. said...

Interesting people.

I feel like I already know half of what I am going to know about them.

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home