Saturday, April 28, 2007

A PhD, a DDS, and an MD, PhD walk into a zoo...

I’ll get to that later, but doesn’t that sound like the start of a good joke? Gold star to whoever can come up with the rest.

To play a little catch-up: my weekend spent visiting with my friend from 4th grade was great. The weather was fantastic so wandering around downtown Rochester was pleasant. We tried two new-to-me restaurants (the verdict: meh, they were OK), and even found that the game of Farkel that we were introduced to over Christmas is, in fact, not made up. Now the toy stores are selling Farkel kits with various themes AND score pads with all of the dice combinations and their values clearly printed for the memory impaired like myself. We had a good time. She even endured two trips to work for me to fiddle in the lab a bit and give her tours.

Having another sunny weekend lined up after that one, it was decided to do something out of doors. Our lab has a new hire (the MD, PhD) and she’s got to be the most forceful Chinese woman I’ve ever met. No wilting flower here, my friends. She’s got opinions and she’s going to share them. Anyway, we were asking about the lab for suggestions, and a nearby park *with* small zoo was recommended. So we got maps and directions, called up the Dentist to invite her along, and plans were made. It’s a nice zoo with animals indigenous to MN – my favorite being the river otters, who wanted to see spectators as much as we wanted to see them. The park also has a nice little trail system. The buds were just coming out on the trees, and there were some flowers just starting to bloom. Another beautiful day.

This last week I flew back to Cleveland to witness the end of an era. The last of us (M) who stayed behind was graduating from my old lab. OK, well, technically, there were 2 graduations (the second was two days later) but I’m so pissed about the second one I didn’t stick around for it and flew back here that day. That kid did not deserve to graduate like M and I did. Either way – she did a great job. I finally got to meet her family, putting faces to names, and witnessing first-hand the quirks she’d told me so much about over the years. The old boss was even in a good mood and publicly gushed over her. Good times. It was a fast and furious trip that I wish could have lasted longer – or overlapped with a weekend so that I could have stayed longer - but as it was the 48 hours I was in town were spoken for. I’m glad I was able to see those of you that I did, and sorry I missed the rest of you!

It’s going to be another beautiful weekend – ever consider visiting Rochester?

5 Comments:

Blogger Dressage Mom said...

Who else graduated? Was it someone from the old lab that I'd know? I can't think of who it might be that didn't go with Big D to Tex-ass.

7:37 AM  
Blogger MistressBioNerd said...

Hey, just found out my brother is moving up to Rochester for his new job. He is none too thrilled about it. Any insight/coping techniques I can pass along to him?

I second dressagemom. Who else graduated?

9:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It had to be Fagner who graduated. I guess I can't call him that anymore since he married some "broad" who needed a green card. Next time Kate we (meghan, sheri and I) will have a show off our kids fest when you are in town and have a right nice party. too bad we missed you.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Lil Kate said...

Ding ding ding!!! And the winner is..... Andrew!!! He guessed right. The lucky graduate is none other than our favorite, sunshiny labmate, Fagner. I know you miss him. We all do. And now he's loose - free from the bonds of Big D. How long do you think it will be before he moves back to The Cleve?

7:42 PM  
Blogger MistressBioNerd said...

Holy crap! This is so unbelievable that I don't even know what to say. They had to have graduated him just to cut their losses. Only explanation. No papers! Didn't he just take his prelims?! Wow.. just wow. I'm so sorry for you and the rest of the lab that actually did work and fulfilled your requirements in a timely manner. Now he has a PhD. They should have dropped his ass to a Masters at best.

On a happier note. Yeah, give us some lead time next time you're back in the Cleve so we can plan a get-together.

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home