Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Panic

As of 6pm EST yesterday I am in a state of panic.

I sent out my emails to the professors I had interviewed with to say "Thanks for having me, I'm going somewhere else" officially. I also sent out an email to say "I really liked your lab. I'd like to officially join" to the prof in Nashville.

Come 6pm he wrote me back to drop a huge (HUGE) wrench in my plans.
Please read below:

"Dear Kathryn
Thanks for your email. You've been in my mind because, coincidentally and in anticipation of communicating with you, last Friday I was checking my budget situation with our office and realized that with more recent NCI grant cuts, I will not be in the position of hiring anybody right away. This is a big change from the time you interviewed which also came to me as a major surprise. Not sure what to tell you other than profusely apologize for any involuntary mixed signals. I remain very impressed of your credentials. Things may change by late July pending some grant submissions but I don't have any right to ask you to wait for me. Should we talk on the phone. Do you have to be out by October 1? Thanks."

I did make an appointment to speak with him on the phone Friday morning, but in the meantime I will be looking for jobs. I don't know what else I can do. I'm REALLY not looking forward to spending another month or so interviewing as that really puts me behind in lab. But seeing as how I don't officially have a job lined up, I don't have any reason to get out of here in a hurry outside of maintaining my precious sanity.

Wish me luck.

3 Comments:

Blogger craig said...

Oh, BLOW! As much as The Scientist and I would like to see you stay in town, it sucks that you're getting jerked around (albeit unintentionally).

Have you ever considered working in advertising? Even with no relevant skills whatsoever, you are at least as qualified as some of the people I've worked with in the past. : )

7:26 AM  
Blogger Lil Kate said...

It sounds like you're having enough trouble for the both of us in the advertising realm. But thanks for the suggestion. :)

Starting today I'm taking advantage of the plethora of postdoc job-finding search engines they have out there (kind of like Monster but for science types). I've been able to post my resume at one so far, nine to go.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Dressage Mom said...

Wow. How terribly irresponsible of this guy to offer you a job, then find out he has no money, then sit on that until you contacted him. You don't want to work for an asshat like that anyway. You've done that already.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home