Monday, November 05, 2007

A positive spin

I’m sorry I don’t have any exciting/funny/interesting Halloween stories for you. The holiday just kind of came and went for me. I didn’t have to dress up for any occasion (thank goodness). I did go to The Hygenist’s house to hand out candy to the neighborhood kids, but so few came, it was hardly worth it. This worked out for my coworkers who are still nibbling away at the spoils.

I did have a dinner date last week, though. Yep, he burned steaks just for little ole me. Sweet, right? He was so embarrassed, but I think he brought it on himself by bragging to friends earlier in the day “It’s steak. How can I screw that up?” I look at it this way – now I have a free pass to ruin dinner sometime in the future. AND he feels the need to redeem himself. A win-win if you ask me. Last night we played it safe and I picked up Chipotle on the way over.

I don’t think I’ve had Chipotle since I left Cleveland! A travesty, I know. It was a way of life then… [sigh] good times.

Anyway.

Redemption should be coming tonight by way of another home-cooked meal. Pasta this time, and we’ll both we watching so the odds of it burning *should* be significantly lower. (I’m trying not to tempt fate.)

In other news, I’m joining my first book club tomorrow. The Hygenist had had one for a while and then it fizzled out. She’s trying to revive it, so we’ll see how it goes. We’re supposed to bring a book or two to recommend. I think I’ll be bringing “The Prestige” and “Freakonomics” – two books I’ve had on my shelf for a while and really want to get into. With any luck, the others will agree. I have such a backlog of books, accumulating over about 5 years of birthdays and Christmases when the Amazon.com Wishlist was heavily used. I’m impressed with the progress I’m making, but there is still a ways to go. Not that that has deterred me from continually adding to my Wishlist, either.

I can hardly believe it’s November already. As of Friday I’ve logged 10 months at the new job. It’s supposed to *flurry* today and tonight. I don’t think I’m ready. I don’t even want to start thinking about the holidays yet… except for getting ridiculously excited about cutting my own Christmas tree this year and hanging lights around the front of my house. OK, so, I think it really boils down to the fact that I don’t want to think about Christmas shopping just yet… which means I’d better start harassing people about what they want now. You’ve been forewarned.

4 Comments:

Blogger craig said...

I enjoyed Freakanomics. I'd have to re-read it, but I remember being iffy about some of the author's conclusions; data can be spun any number of ways. Maybe I'm just overly suspicious.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Lil Kate said...

After I read it, I'll let you know if I come away with the same suspicions.

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. I always recommend The Birth of Venus. I loved it. So many good books out there...

Anyway, you would have vomitted - I was at Target today, and it was all Christmas-y!! And it's not even Thanksgiving! I think it'll be a year-round event soon.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Lil Kate said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Doc. I'll look into. This might also mean that I'll have to get my ass down to the public library and get myself a card. I'm *so* lazy.

Yeah, Christmas around here (at least at a couple stores) started to rear it's ugly head in September. SEPTEMBER. That's wrong.

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home