Thursday, July 20, 2006

It's hectic here

Yesterday was my birthday. I spent the day in a 4 hour lab meeting followed by an afternoon-evening-night of starting to pack up my apartment. The only bright spots were the great cards, chocolate truffles and ice cream cake from my coworkers. My cake read "K8 is Gr8!" - how cool is that?! I also got lots of phone calls from family and friends while I was packing. Nice little breaks.

Today I am doing a 7 hour experiment (not as bad as it sounds - decent amounts of time inbetween time points) and then I'm off to the airport. I'm flying to Washington D.C. so that I can interview at the National Institutes of Health / National Cancer Institute (NIH/NCI) tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous about the trip. Not because I haven't got this interviewing gig nailed, but because I've only passed through DC before and now I have to fly in, take the train (with a transfer!), and then take a cab just to get to my hotel. The next morning I have to take a cab, get dropped off to be processed by security, get on a shuttle, and hopefully deposited at the correct building. After my "low key" interview day, someone will point me in the right direction to get me back on the train, which I will then take to the airport. I will be back in Cleveland tomorrow night.

Not being familiar with anything, I'm a bit nervous about getting lost or mugged or something. I know, I'm probably over-reacting, but my other interviews were a lot easier and more accommodating than this one, by far. People met me places, and drove me places, and made sure I didn't get lost or misplaced. It also doesn't help that the administrator (they're not called "secretaries" any more) that was in charge of organizing/coordinating/planning this trip with me is little to no help. She's not even going to be around because she had her wisdom teeth removed yesterday - which was her excuse for being so flighty and generally useless.

I'll be sure to let you know how things go. We'll see if the massive line of thunderstorms heading this way grounds me here in Cleveland or not.

Saturday and Sunday will be fun-filled days of packing. I never realize how much shit I have until I try to pack it up. And I've come to realize that most of the shit I have is for the social life I no longer have. I'll hold something and think "Man, I haven't used/worn this in forever!" and then I'll remember that it's for some hobby I don't have time for, or social events that I don't go to. Working in the lab most days requires a t-shirt and jeans. The AC is cranked too high for shorts or skirts, and there's no reason to ever wear a dress. Ever.

So I'm really looking forward to ending this graduate student career of mine.
I'm looking forward to getting my hobbies back.
And having a social life with a real pulse.
Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dressage Mom said...

I'm sure you'll be fine going to and coming home from DC. It's not as scary as it seems. Good luck and have some fun while your there - have a beer or six!

5:38 AM  
Blogger craig said...

Happy birthday! You're, what, 18 now?

The one time I took the train in DC I found it to be clean and easy to negotiate. Now, I did have an experienced guide with me, so I'm sure that made all the difference. 'Cuz if I was on my own, well, jeez, I'm sure I would have ended up on the wrong train to New Jersery or dead in a ditch somewhere... boy, I'm not helping, am I?

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home