Monday, March 31, 2008

Lil’ Kate: Kid tested, mother approved

Yes, it’s official, I survived Spring Break week with all 3 of Fiance’s (F’s) kids.

I’ll be honest – it wasn’t exactly “easy.” I don’t have kids of my own, as most of you know. I haven’t been around kids much since babysitting was my major source of income. Having 3 kids around all the time is exhausting, and I wasn’t even around all the time. F took the week off and had the kids 24/7. I got to go to work.

But it was a good week. The kids had a good time. F was over the moon about spending time with them. I got more hugs and kisses than ever. They genuinely like me and like spending time with me. Better yet, they’re actually pretty good kids. Granted, they’re not perfect, but I’ve met some real monsters in my day and these were no monsters. Just your typical 6-9 year-olds.

Frosting on the cake: F’s Ex pumped them for all kinds of info and I passed the test with flying colors. Not that I necessarily need her approval, but you know I like it. Helps ease some tension as far as I can tell… or at least makes me feel better.

Am I glad they’re gone? Yes – back to the old routine, and you know I like routine. Will I be happy to see them again? You bet. Do I find the possibility daunting that they may, one day, should the stars align, live with us permanently? Of course. I’m no parent and I have to learn how to be a step-parent. At least they’re old enough to tell me what they want/need. And F is there to show me the ropes. For the most part my job is just to be a back-up singer, enhancing his parenting. But it still makes me nervous. I’d like to be a good stepmom. I set the bar pretty high for myself sometimes and then obsess about it to no good end. I’m learning not to do that, though.

This weekend my parents come to visit. Should get at least one blog post out of that. Stay tuned.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. You're so brave. You know my thoughts on the "kids" subject, and I think you've become my new hero. :)

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home