Wednesday, June 18, 2008

An honor

This last weekend F and I took Thursday and Friday off to go to Florida and visit his parents, as well as his oldest son, G, who is there to visit for about 4 weeks. G didn’t know we were coming and was completely floored to see us – could hardly believe his eyes.

F’s parents are very nice, welcoming and fun people. I had a great weekend with them and G. F’s mom is *a lot* like my mom, so I’m not the least bit worried about the two of them meeting in August and getting along famously. F’s dad reminded me a lot of my Stepdad’s dad – fun, charming, and easy to talk to.

My future in-laws live in a “retirement community” that stretches far and wide – it is its own little city. F calls it a “cult” and to some extent I can see why. There are several golf courses, club houses, swimming pools and commercial districts scattered among lots and lots of individually named neighborhoods. You can get around completely by golf cart if you want (even go grocery shopping or to the movies). They have their own TV station, and 2 radio stations. They have every club you can imagine. You would really have to put some effort into being bored. And, knowing how people like to unload their kids on their parents during the summer, they have tons of fun activities and programs for the grandkids. G has a packed schedule of fun things to do. I’m tempted to ask if I can come for my own month of fun activities next summer.

We did as much as we could while we were there, and there’s still plenty left to do for our next visit (whenever that may be). We even had a little “engagement” party. Long-time family friends of The In-Laws went out to dinner with us (they’ve known them since F was 2 years old) and came over afterwards for dessert and champagne and toasts. Even G had a little “toast” for the occasion that was practiced for several minutes in the bathroom beforehand.

“I’m honored to have Kate be my second mom.”

Cheers to that, kiddo!

We even got gifts! The In-Laws gave me birthday gifts a month early. Every night F’s mom would sneak away, turn down our bed and put something on our pillows (e.g. chocolates, tiny liquor bottles, travel-size lotions). They love to entertain and I was certainly entertained.

G was very sad to see us go (I say “us” but I know it’s mostly for his dad) on Sunday, but perked up by Monday with all of the fun activities his grandma had him signed up for. Also, in their little neighborhood, about 4-5 other grandsons G’s age are coming this week to visit their grandparents, so he’ll have some little buddies to pal around with.

We really had a great time – even have a little tan to our skin to show for it. I certainly wouldn’t mind going back, and I don't think they'd mind having me. They even said I wouldn't have to bring F!

4 Comments:

Blogger craig said...

“I’m honored to have Kate be my second mom.”

That's really cute.

12:55 PM  
Blogger DK said...

What an honor indeed. For him, and for you.

You've so got to email me (accordingtok at gmail). I need to hear the story of F. I like him already. ;-)

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll bet you were on Cloud 9. What a great compliment. I'm honored to call you my friend. Which reminds me: when are you coming to visit us in LA??

6:52 PM  
Blogger Lil Kate said...

JAD: Good question. :) You're on the list of "people requesting a visit"
Now we just have to chisel out the time!

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home